Because car components have become increasingly computerized - 80 percent now compared to 20 percent just a few years ago - many experts in car repair prefer to the title "technician" to the traditional "mechanic." Technicians need mechanical aptitude and computer skills coupled with good math and reading skills.
Q: What is the most valuable skill an auto technician should possess?
A: Being able to accurately diagnose the source of an automotive problem is probably an auto technician´s most valuable skill. That skill requires good reasoning ability and a complete understanding of automobiles and how they work.
Love for speed, Porsches drives mechanic´s business
Ryan Kennedy putt-putted to work in a Volkswagen when he was sweeping tennis courts, laying sod and hammering roof trusses after graduating from Seabreeze High School in 1981.
DBCC offers many programs
Unless a college student is majoring in Spring Break, there´s not much chance he or she will take a final exam at the beach.
1. Go to your career section. Then, explore one or more of the web links related to this job. Make copies of web pages you find interesting and organize them into a reference file or notebook to share with others.
2. Search recent copies of The Daytona Beach News-Journal for evidence of this occupaion. Clip examples from display ads, classified ads, news articles, features, editorials, and the comics.
3. From the pages of The News-Journal, identify people and organizations that can be contacted for more information about this occupation. Investigate one or more and organize your findings into a scrapbook to share with your class. Please feel free to add useful ones to the Resource List for this occupation in the Job Center.
4. Clip words from The Daytona Beach News-Journal that describe, or are used in, this occupation. Define each and then, using Puzzlemaker, create a crossword puzzle to challenge friends or classmates.
5. Visit NewsVoyages.com and search for information about this job in online papers from other parts of the U.S. Print out pages that you find interesting and share them with your class or family.
Career Options and Opportunities: What´s in Your Future?
Just a few decades ago, after a person graduated from high school or college, he or she probably chose a job and settled into it-and stuck with it! Changing careers was not a thing most people considered. Nowadays, however, it´s not uncommon for people to change careers one or more times between graduation and retirement.
100 Years of Racing Gallery
Ransom E. Olds built the Oldsmobile "Pirate" that he brought to Ormond Beach in 1903. In developing the Pirate, Olds´ emphasis was on creating a lightweight machine with its skeleton frame and "torpedo-like" fuel tanks.
Ford Lincoln Mercury Dealer Jobs
Offers a national employment web site designed specifically for automotive jobs and truck jobs in retail.
The Automotive Technician Shortage
AAIA conducted extensive research and analysis of existing data with a broad historical perspective to support or explain the perceived shortage of technicians. What we learned is interesting and surprising. Of course there is a perceived shortage. So, is there a real shortage? We´ll present our findings, and you can be the judge.
Auto Technician Jobs
A list of positions available and the qualifications needed to pursue them.
World-leading provider of electronic diagnostic and repair information and services for the automotive service industry.
Discovery School´s Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker is a puzzle generation tool for teachers, students and parents. Create and print customized word search, crossword and math puzzles using your word lists.