Landscape architects, landscapers, and their crews work not only on residential projects, but also on public and industrial projects, such as at shopping malls, college campuses, parks, and golf courses. Those working in the landscaping industry should be creative and enjoy working outdoors.
Almost 26 percent are self-employed--nearly 4 times the proportion for all professionals. A bachelor´s degree in landscape architecture is the minimum requirement for entry-level jobs; many employers prefer to hire landscape architects who have completed at least one internship. Because many landscape architects work for small firms or are self-employed, benefits tend to be less generous than those provided to workers in large organizations. (Source: U.S. Department of Labor)
DBCC offers many programs
Unless a college student is majoring in Spring Break, there´s not much chance he or she will take a final exam at the beach.
Exotic plants change landscape
Invasive plants are taking over Florida´s ecosystems, driving out native plants and creatures that depend on them. They crowd waterways and spread uncontrollably into other areas.
Landscape boom yields cash crop
While do-it-yourself landscaping projects are growing, there´s a much faster growing segment of the agriculture industry: professional landscape, lawn and tree-care services.
Career Advice: Landscape
I am a special education teacher who has been teaching for about 20 years. I would like a career change, and the one thing that attracts me is cultivating plants and flowers.
1. Go to your career section. Then, explore one or more of the web links related to this job. Make copies of web pages you find interesting and organize them into a reference file or notebook to share with others.
2. Search recent copies of The Daytona Beach News-Journal for evidence of this occupaion. Clip examples from display ads, classified ads, news articles, features, editorials, and the comics.
3. From the pages of The News-Journal, identify people and organizations that can be contacted for more information about this occupation. Investigate one or more and organize your findings into a scrapbook to share with your class. Please feel free to add useful ones to the Resource List for this occupation in the Job Center.
4. Clip words from The Daytona Beach News-Journal that describe, or are used in, this occupation. Define each and then, using Puzzlemaker, create a crossword puzzle to challenge friends or classmates.
5. Visit NewsVoyages.com and search for information about this job in online papers from other parts of the U.S. Print out pages that you find interesting and share them with your class or family.
Bugs and Backyard Butterflies
More than 15,000 different kinds of butterflies are known to exist, and they are some of Earth´s most admired--and least-understood--insects. You can bring butterflies to your own backyard by planting flowers they are attracted to and even building a butterfly house.
Butterflies Are More than Beautiful: Can We Keep Them Alive?
Butterflies are delightful creatures. They have no negative impact on the environment or on human beings and are a beautiful part of the outdoor world.
Landscape Architects - Occupational Outlook Handbook
Everyone enjoys attractively designed residential areas, public parks and playgrounds, college campuses, shopping centers, golf courses, parkways, and industrial parks. Landscape architects design these areas so that they are not only functional, but also beautiful, and compatible with the natural environment. They plan the location of buildings, roads, and walkways, and the arrangement of flowers, shrubs, and trees.
Horticulture and Landscape Design Career Guide
Explore careers in Horticulture and Landscape Design with the following links to job descriptions, which include information such as daily activities, skill requirements, salary and training required.
Energy Savers - Landscaping
In addition to adding aesthetic value and environmental quality to your home, a well-placed tree, shrub, or vine can deliver effective shade, act as a windbreak, and reduce overall energy bills.
Natural Resource & Environmental Education Websites at University of Florida
This list of University of Florida affiliated websites serves as a starting ground for those interested in learning about natural resource topics and issues. Whether you are an educator, student or resident, you will find this a useful website for basic environmental information.
Landscaping in Florida with Fire in Mind
Fire is a powerful part of Florida´s landscape. It can maintain healthy natural ecosystems, but can also turn a home to ashes. Florida´s frequent lightning strikes and human carelessness guarantee that wildfire will continue to be a factor in rural and suburban areas.
Discovery School´s Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker is a puzzle generation tool for teachers, students and parents. Create and print customized word search, crossword and math puzzles using your word lists.