Nurses work directly with patients to evaluate their current health and create meaningful records that physicians review while developing a diagnosis or treatment plan. Nurses must be detail-oriented, good at math and science, and enjoy working with people. Caring for the ill can be stressful, so nurses should also be compassionate and emotionally strong.
N-J/Joanna Kaney Olivari
The largest health care occupation, with more than 2 million jobs. One of the 10 occupations projected to have the largest numbers of new jobs. Job opportunities are expected to be very good. Earnings are above average, particularly for advanced practice nurses, who have additional education or training.
(Source: U.S. Department of Labor)
Hospital backbone of local health care facilities
The foundation of the many health care facilities in Southeast Volusia County is Bert Fish Medical Center (BFMC), a 116-bed acute care, public hospital founded in 1954.
Career Advice: Is nursing right for me?
I am in the process of going back to school to pursue a career as a nurse. I was hoping that you could give me a Web site that offers the career assessment test. It would be nice to see if this is where my true potential lies.
What white? Nurses find uniforms follow fashions
Halifax Medical Center chief nursing officer Christopher Martorella remembers wearing the traditional white uniform when he began his nursing career in 1985.
Labor of Love: Nursing career born of heartbreak
It was the worst day of Caterina Goldbergs life. Thinking back, Goldberg isnt sure she could have survived that horrible day if not for Richies nurse at Halifax Medical Center.
Hospice nurses share insights into spirit transition
When breathing becomes too much of a labor, dying is an experience to embrace, according to two local nurses who have spent most of their lives tending to terminally ill patients.
1. Go to the career section. Then, explore one or more of the web links related to this job. Make copies of web pages you find interesting and organize them into a reference file or notebook to share with others.
2. Search recent copies of The Daytona Beach News-Journal for evidence of this occupaion. Clip examples from display ads, classified ads, news articles, features, editorials, and the comics.
3. From the pages of The News-Journal, identify people and organizations that can be contacted for more information about this occupation. Investigate one or more and organize your findings into a scrapbook to share with your class. Please feel free to add useful ones to the Resource List for this occupation in the Job Center.
4. Clip words from The Daytona Beach News-Journal that describe, or are used in, this occupation. Define each and then, using Puzzlemaker, create a crossword puzzle to challenge friends or classmates.
5. Visit NewsVoyages.com and search for information about this job in online papers from other parts of the U.S. Print out pages that you find interesting and share them with your class or family.
Career Options and Opportunities: Whats in Your Future?
Just a few decades ago, after a person graduated from high school or college, he or she probably chose a job and settled into it-and stuck with it! Changing careers was not a thing most people considered. Nowadays, however, its not uncommon for people to change careers one or more times between graduation and retirement.
Find everything you need to know about starting a registered nursing (RN) career including information on nursing salaries, scholarships, schools, available programs, and more.
NurseWeek: Career Advice
Learn more about nursing professions.
Registered Nurses - Occupational Outlook Handbook
Registered nurses (RNs) work to promote health, prevent disease, and help patients cope with illness. They are advocates and health educators for patients, families, and communities.
All Nursing Schools
A complete guide to nursing education. Includes a comprehensive directory of nursing schools, nursing programs, nursing colleges and online nursing degrees.
University of Central Florida College of Health & Public Affairs
Todays challenging healthcare environment provides unique opportunities for nursing. Nurses are needed more than ever to provide evidence-based patient care, serve in leadership roles, teach, engage in research, and influence policy.
Daytona Beach Community College Department of Nursing
Daytona Beach Nursing Department is in good standing with the Florida Board of Nursing. The Associate Degree Programs are nationally accredited through the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission.
Discovery Schools Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker is a puzzle generation tool for teachers, students and parents. Create and print customized word search, crossword and math puzzles using your word lists.