Besides specializing in the care and treatment of children, pediatricians can also be strong advocates for health and welfare policies that help children. Pediatricians must possess intelligence, good communication skills, and a love of kids. All doctors must be good problem solvers who are good at science and math.
Physicians are much more likely to work as salaried employees of group medical practices, clinics, or integrated healthcare systems than in the past. Formal education and training requirements are among the most demanding of any occupation, but earnings are among the highest. (Source: U.S. Department of Labor)
Children not immune to depression
According to National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) statistics, as many as one in every 33 children may have depression. And current research is attempting to answer the “why” – why are pre-schoolers being diagnosed and treated for diseases once thought to appear exclusively in adults and adolescents? Is it genetic, societal or environmental?
1. Go to your career section. Then, explore one or more of the web links related to this job. Make copies of web pages you find interesting and organize them into a reference file or notebook to share with others.
2. Search recent copies of The Daytona Beach News-Journal for evidence of this occupaion. Clip examples from display ads, classified ads, news articles, features, editorials, and the comics.
3. From the pages of The News-Journal, identify people and organizations that can be contacted for more information about this occupation. Investigate one or more and organize your findings into a scrapbook to share with your class. Please feel free to add useful ones to the Resource List for this occupation in the Job Center.
4. Clip words from The Daytona Beach News-Journal that describe, or are used in, this occupation. Define each and then, using Puzzlemaker, create a crossword puzzle to challenge friends or classmates.
5. Visit NewsVoyages.com and search for information about this job in online papers from other parts of the U.S. Print out pages that you find interesting and share them with your class or family.
Career Options and Opportunities: Whats in Your Future?
Just a few decades ago, after a person graduated from high school or college, he or she probably chose a job and settled into it-and stuck with it! Changing careers was not a thing most people considered. Nowadays, however, its not uncommon for people to change careers one or more times between graduation and retirement.
American Academy of Pediatrics
Pediatric career information.
Is a career in Pediatrics right for you?
There are many more reasons why a career in medicine, and especially Pediatrics, would be a great idea.
Careers in Medicine: Pediatric Specialty Information
Following graduation from medical school, pediatricians complete 3 years of education in a pediatric residency program. The 3-year residency includes mandated rotations in general pediatrics, normal newborn care, and time in selected subspecialty areas.
Physicians and Surgeons - Occupational Outlook Handbook
Physicians and surgeons serve a fundamental role in our society and have an effect upon all our lives. They diagnose illnesses and prescribe and administer treatment for people suffering from injury or disease. Physicians examine patients, obtain medical histories, and order, perform, and interpret diagnostic tests. They counsel patients on diet, hygiene, and preventive healthcare.
University of Florida Pediatrics Jacksonville
Our institution sponsors two competitive ACGME-accredited programs, which include a pediatric residency training program and pediatric infectious diseases fellowship. We have an enrollment of more than 30 residents coming from medical schools around the world.
Discovery Schools Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker is a puzzle generation tool for teachers, students and parents. Create and print customized word search, crossword and math puzzles using your word lists.