Radiologic technologists, who are skilled in dealing with complex medical equipment, must also be skilled in dealing with the concerns of the patients who are being assessed by the equipment. Radiologic technologists must pay attention to detail and understand human anatomy.
Faster-than-average growth will arise from an increase in the number of middle-aged and older persons who are the primary users of diagnostic procedures. Although hospitals will remain the primary employer of radiologic technologists and technicians, a greater number of new jobs will be found in offices and clinics of physicians, including diagnostic imaging centers. Radiologic technologists and technicians with cross training in nuclear medicine technology or other modalities will have the best prospects.
(Source: U.S. Department of Labor)
Computer takes better look at mammograms
Using spy technology taken from space satellites, a group of Palm Coast radiologists is improving the accuracy of its mammogram readings by having a computer provide a second opinion.
Open MRIs roomier but weaker, take longer
When many people hear they will need magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), their minds conjure up pictures of themselves disappearing into a long, narrow tube.
DBCC offers many programs
Unless a college student is majoring in Spring Break, theres not much chance he or she will take a final exam at the beach.
1. Go to the career section. Then, explore one or more of the web links related to this job. Make copies of web pages you find interesting and organize them into a reference file or notebook to share with others.
2. Search recent copies of The Daytona Beach News-Journal for evidence of this occupaion. Clip examples from display ads, classified ads, news articles, features, editorials, and the comics.
3. From the pages of The News-Journal, identify people and organizations that can be contacted for more information about this occupation. Investigate one or more and organize your findings into a scrapbook to share with your class. Please feel free to add useful ones to the Resource List for this occupation in the Job Center.
4. Clip words from The Daytona Beach News-Journal that describe, or are used in, this occupation. Define each and then, using Puzzlemaker, create a crossword puzzle to challenge friends or classmates.
5. Visit NewsVoyages.com and search for information about this job in online papers from other parts of the U.S. Print out pages that you find interesting and share them with your class or family.
Career Options and Opportunities: Whats in Your Future?
Just a few decades ago, after a person graduated from high school or college, he or she probably chose a job and settled into it-and stuck with it! Changing careers was not a thing most people considered. Nowadays, however, its not uncommon for people to change careers one or more times between graduation and retirement.
Radiologic Technologists and Technicians
Radiologic technologists and technicians take x rays and administer nonradioactive materials into patients blood streams for diagnostic purposes. Some specialize in diagnostic imaging technologies such as computed tomography/CT and magnetic resonance imaging/MRI.
Shands Jacksonville School of Radiologic Technology
The Shands Jacksonville School of Radiologic Technology is committed to the health care community by providing graduates that are academically and clinically prepared by a comprehensive curriculum in contemporary radiography.
Radiologic Technologist Certification
To become certified, each applicant must pass a test typically covering radiation protection, equipment operation and maintenance, image production and evaluation, procedures, and patient care. Each certificate is valid for 2 years during which the technologist must obtain 12 hours of continuing education. The department evaluates each continuing education course and furnishes a list of approved course providers to each technologist.
Discovery Schools Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker is a puzzle generation tool for teachers, students and parents. Create and print customized word search, crossword and math puzzles using your word lists.