A positive attitude is critical to running a small business, especially when you meet the public. If you love your business, it will be evident in the way you interact with others. Small business owners must know how to compete in their markets and cope well with regulations and administrative paperwork. They must have good people skills, both with customers and employees.
(Photo: N-J/Nigel Cook)
(Photo: N-J/Pam Lockeby)
How important is a business plan when starting a small business? Extremely important, especially if you will be seeking financing from outside sources. Either way, a business plan will help you figure out what needs to be done from start to finish to set up your small business.
Microloans pump life into Spring Hill business
One person at a time, the momentum needed for an economic revival in Spring Hill is slowly building.
Succession plans an unhappy reality
Students studying to take over family businesses especially dont like to talk about it, said Greg McMann, the director of the Family Business Center at Stetson University.
Employee leasing companies to the rescue
Before fireworks burst over Florida on the Fourth of July, a trio of new regulations on health care compensation to injured workers within the state became the law of the land.
A recent Federal Reserve Board study found that minority entrepreneurs are more likely to be denied commercial credit. Its an issue local minority business owners tackle every day.
1. Go to the career section. Then, explore one or more of the web links related to this job. Make copies of web pages you find interesting and organize them into a reference file or notebook to share with others.
2. Search recent copies of The Daytona Beach News-Journal for evidence of this occupaion. Clip examples from display ads, classified ads, news articles, features, editorials, and the comics.
3. From the pages of The News-Journal, identify people and organizations that can be contacted for more information about this occupation. Investigate one or more and organize your findings into a scrapbook to share with your class. Please feel free to add useful ones to the Resource List for this occupation in the Job Center.
4. Clip words from The Daytona Beach News-Journal that describe, or are used in, this occupation. Define each and then, using Puzzlemaker.com, create a crossword puzzle to challenge friends or classmates.
5. Visit NewsVoyages.com and search for information about this job in online papers from other parts of the U.S. Print out pages that you find interesting and share them with your class or family.
Career Options and Opportunities: Whats in Your Future?
Just a few decades ago, after a person graduated from high school or college, he or she probably chose a job and settled into it-and stuck with it! Changing careers was not a thing most people considered. Nowadays, however, its not uncommon for people to change careers one or more times between graduation and retirement.
Career Advice: Career Choices
I am looking for a career but I am not too sure of what I want to do. I have thought about something in criminal investigation, but I also would like to open my own business.
Becoming An Entrepreneur
Anyone who has ever worked for someone has had the following thought run through his or her mind: “I would be much better off being my own boss.”
Small Business Association
SBA - Services provided by the U.S. Small Business Administration Offices and Partners.
IRS - Small Bus/Self-Employed
Small business and self-employed one-stop resource.
Small Business School
A multimedia resource center of best practices for Small Business Owners and small businesses worldwide. These people create jobs, create wealth, and make the world a better place. They are todays new pioneers and quiet heroes.
Discovery Schools Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker is a puzzle generation tool for teachers, students and parents. Create and print customized word search, crossword and math puzzles using your word lists.