The Mini Page — 2011 Activities
Using Geothermal Energy
This week's standards:
- Students understand science and technology. (Science: Science and Technology)
1. Write the word “Energy” in the middle of a piece of paper. Paste newspaper words and pictures for different kinds of energy around the word.
2. With a friend, look through the newspaper. Circle words and pictures for things that generate heat in red. Circle words and pictures for things that cool in blue.
3. Paste newspaper pictures of images of renewable energy resources in a “Renewable Energy” notebook. Write about each resource.
4. How are these related to geothermal energy: (a) geysers, (b) heat pumps,
(c) turbines and (d) volcanoes?
5. Pretend there is a geothermal energy source under your house. Show how you would invent a system to use that energy in your home.
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi) ®