The Mini Page — 2011 Activities
Take Time to Read!
This week's standards:
- Students identify forms and elements of literature. (Language Arts: Reading)
1. Have a friend circle three words in newspaper headlines. Now make up a new
book title using the words. Draw a cover for the new book.
2. From their descriptions, name the Mini Page featured books that you would
give these awards: Most Exciting, Most Unusual, Most Like Me.
3. Use synonyms to rewrite the titles of five books in The Mini Page. Have a
friend try to guess what the real titles are.
4. Which book(s) would fit in these newspaper sections: (a) international news,
(b) sports, (c) games/puzzles, and (d) entertainment?
5. Take characters from three different books from The Mini Page. Write a new
story using the characters.
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi) ®