The Mini Page — 2012 Activities
ABCs of Conventions
This week's standards:
- Students understand the ideas, principles and practices of citizenship in a democratic republic. (Social Studies: Civics)
1. Use newspaper words and pictures to make a sign welcoming delegates to the Republican National Convention.
2. Choose three friends or family members to take to the convention. Why would these people want to go to Tampa?
3. Collect newspaper stories and pictures about the major speakers at the convention. How many are governors? U.S. senators? U.S. representatives?
4. What are the roles of these people at the convention: (a) delegates,
(b) candidates, (3) media and (4) keynote speaker?
5. Select three newspaper stories about issues that are important to the country.
What questions would you ask Republican leaders about these issues? Why?
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi) ®