The Mini Page — 2012 Activities
Schools on the Frontier
This week's standards:
- Students understand that studying the past makes it possible to understand the human story across time. (Social Studies: Time, Continuity and Change)
1. Draw a large backpack. On your drawing, paste newspaper pictures of items you take to school in your backpack.
2. Draw five things pioneer students used in their schools. Next to each item, paste a newspaper picture of something you use in school for the same purpose.
3. Find five non-electronic items in your newspaper that would have made school easier for pioneer children.
4. How did pioneer students demonstrate these values: (a) resourcefulness,
(b) dedication, (c) cooperation and (d) caring?
5. Write about the strengths of pioneer schools and of modern schools.
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi) ®