The Mini Page — 2012 Activities
First Step to Ending Slavery
This week's standards:
- Students identify key ideals of the United States’ democratic/republican form of government. (Social Studies: Civic Ideals and Practice)
1. Create a poster with “1863 Freedom” in the middle. Paste newspaper words about freedom and the United States around the date.
2. You are free to become whatever you like. Find three careers you would like to pursue in the newspaper.
3. In your newspaper, circle stories that show African-Americans with different careers in this country.
4. How do these relate to the Emancipation Proclamation: (a) military assets,
(b) Antietam, (c) the 13th Amendment and (d) Fort Sumter?
5. Use the Internet to research and write about the federal government and the states. What can the federal government require of states?
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi) ®